When it comes to roulette odds, we mean the likelihood that you will win a particular bet, but need to understand the differences betting types. Roulette holds the crown for the most popular table game in online and offline casinos. This massive popularity is mainly propelled by the fact that it has been around longer than most, having been invented back in the sixteenth century. On top of its long-standing nature, the game is loved for the inclusion of roulette table odds, math, and probability in its gameplay, which makes it possible for punters to understand exactly how much risk they are taking with every stake that they place. Information article created to understand the bets and payouts when playing roulette.
The Main Types of Bets in Roulette
Even with the different variations available in casinos, the types of stakes that can be placed remain the same in all of them. These wagers come in a wide array, but they are placed in two main categories for more straightforward classification. These bet types are:
Inside Bets are those that are placed on one number or a small group of numbers. For instance, if a gambler places a stake on the single number thirty-five, or two numbers that appear next to each other such as nineteen and four, they are termed as Inside Bets. These types of wagers cover single bets on up to six numbers, and they are termed as follows:
|Bet on numbers||Given name|
|Six numbers||Double Street|
Outside Bets are the roulette stakes that hold large groups of numbers that go as high as eighteen of them. Like Inside Bets, they also have special terms used to refer to them in casino jargon, and they are as follows:
|Bet on numbers||Given term|
|The first, second, or third set of twelve numbers out of the thirty-six||Dozens|
|One of the three twelve-number columns on the roulette table||Columns|
|Red or black||Red or Black|
|Even or odd numbers||Odd or Even|
|First or last set of eighteen numbers||High or Low|
Odds and Payouts for Outside Bets
Outside bets cover large portions of the game wheel, which makes them carry better odds of winning. For instance, in the case of parity, colour, and High or Low stakes, punters have the winning European Roulette odds of 48.6% and 47.4% in the American version. Column and ozen bets, on the other hand, have winning odds of 32.4% in European Roulette and 31.6% in American Roulette. However, these payout odds in roulette are quite low, ranging between one to one and two to one.
- Red or Black – This bet pays out even odds 1:1. If the player guessed the color of roulette cell.
- Odd or Even – This bet pays out even odds 1:1. A player wins if he wins an even or odd number.
- High or Low – This bet pays out even odds 1:1. If the ball landing on 1-18 if player bet low, or if the ball landing on 19-36 if player bet high.
- Columns – All numbers on the layout are organized into 3 columns of 12 numbers each. A “columns” bet wins if the ball lands on one of the numbers in the column player chose. This bet must pays out 2:1 when player win.
- Dozens – Roulette bet table have of 36 numbers so player can bet on the first dozen (1-12), the second dozen (13-24), or the third dozen (25-36). This bet also pays out 2:1.
Odds and Payouts for Inside Bets
Inside Bets are quite hard to land considering they cover a small portion of the roulette wheel, and some of them are granted as follows:
- Straight – The player puts on one specific number.The Straight stake is the most challenging to come by, and it carries winning odds of 2.70% in the European version and 2.63% in the American one. The odds in roulette for these bets, however, are monumental, and they stand at 35:1.
- Split – This is a bet on any two adjacent numbers. Player can place the chip on the line between the two numbers. This bet pays out at 17:1.
- Street Bets – This roulette bet covers 3 numbers. Player can place your bet on the line outside of the three numbers in the row where he want to win. This bet pays out at 11:1.
- Corner Bet – Players call this a square bet or a quarter bet. But this a bet on a corner that makes a square, and it’s a bet on 4 numbers. A win on this type of bet pays out at 8:1.
- Basket – This bet type use only for american roulette. Players can bet on zero, double zero, 1, 2 and 3. Highest winning odds of 13.16%. A win on this type of bet pays out at 6:1.
- Double Street – The player bets on two adjacent rows of numbers, but not more than 6. The lowest paying inside stake is Double Street. Even so, they have the highest winning odds of 16.2%, even though it does not compare to that of Outside Bets. A win on this type of bet pays out at 5:1.
Probabilities and Payouts of Called Bets
The roulette game also includes several other special bet categories referred to as Called Bets. These options carry stakes that are not provided in the conventional game table, and some of the most popular ones include:
- Neighbour bets – The neighbour bets operate like big Outside Bets, but they cover the 17 pockets that are close to the zero pocket. Usually, punters are not allowed to stake less than 9 chips, and the chances of winning this bet are 45.9%. The payout is not fixed and can even be 24: 1, based on the winning number. It is called the “big series.”
- Zero Game – This option is similar to the Neighbour Bets, player can bet on 7 numbers near the green zero. Highest winning odds of 18,9%. The odds for this winning are quite impressive standing at 26:1.
- Thirds of the Wheel – This is 12 numbers who stand across from the Neighbours of Zero. Chances of winning this bet are 32,4%, and the payout is set at 17:1.
- The Orphans – Player may betting covers the numbers who not mentioned in the Called bets so far. Highest winning odds of 21.6%. This bet pays out at 35:1 or 17:1.
Winning Odds and Best Bets
You can see all the betting options on the game table. In short, you can bet on a single number, a series of numbers, a color or whether the result will be odd or even. Each option pays a different amount. Payment rates are based on probability calculations. The lower the likelihood of a choice, the higher the prize.
Instead of listing all the possibilities, let’s show you the odds that you are most likely to win at Europian roulette:
|Type of the Bet||Probability||Payout|
|Odd/Even||48.6%||1 : 1|
|Red/Black||48.6%||1 : 1|
|1-18 / 19-36||48.6%||1 : 1|
|1 – 12 / 13 – 24 / 25 – 36||32.4%||2 : 1|
The first three options should be the preference of everyone who wants a safe game. The odds are so high that you can be confident that you will win soon. Those who are willing to place risky bets should choose column and dozen options. At any rate, we recommend you stay away from single bets. The odd of a single number is only 2.6%.
Do not forget that this list represents the European version. In the American version, rates are on average decreasing by 2%. For this reason, always prefer the European version. Variants known as French roulette have the lowest house edge ratio and should be your first choice.
Comparative table of payments in European and American roulette
|Roulette Bet||Payout||European Roulette Odds||American Roulette Odds|
|Single Number||35 to 1||2.70%||2.60%|
|2 Number Combination||17 to 1||5.4%||5.3%|
|3 Number Combination||11 to 1||8.1%||7.9%|
|4 Number Combination||8 to 1||10.8%||10.5%|
|5 Number Combination||6 to 1||13.5%||13.2%|
|6 Number Combination||5 to 1||16.2%||15.8%|
|Column||2 to 1||32.40%||31.6%|
|Dozen||2 to 1||32.40%||31.6%|
|Even/Odd||1 to 1||48.60%||47.4%|
|Red/Black||1 to 1||48.60%||47.4%|
|Low/High||1 to 1||48.60%||47.4%|
Roulette stands among the simplest games to engage, but the inclusion of odds and probability in gameplay also allows the category to cater to skilled punters. Both free and real money versions of the set are widely accessible online. After reading the article, we recommend that you move on to learning roulette strategies.